Blessed John Henry Newman together with Cardinal Paul Cullen and the Irish bishops established the Catholic University of Ireland in 1854. Newman was the founder and first rector. At the start of the 20th century the university, which had few students and lacked the necessary funds to continue to operate, was incorporated into the National University of Ireland as a constituent college (1908).
The house in which Newman lived with some students, where faculty met and some classes were taught, later known as Newman House, will be restored and host an exhibition of Irish writers. This Georgian style house was located at 85 and 86 St. Stephen’s Green. This will be a fitting tribute to Newman whose work in higher education continues to be a great source of inspiration for educators and students.